Thursday, August 03, 2006

Handmade Pincushions

I was in the mood for some hand sewing as a change to sitting at my sewing machine, yesterday. I was thinking about little things that I used to make as child....when I remembered making tiny pincushions inside walnut shells...these used to become great gifts at Christmas time for my Grandmothers and Aunts. Well, I will certainly make some of these nearer Christmas, again, but for now, I didn't have any Walnuts to hand! Then I remembered a sweet little toy china cup and saucer that I had. All that is needed is a tiny circle of fabric. (in my case it has to be vintage fabric!) Run a strong thread of gathering stitches all the way around the edge. Pull them up tight, trapping some toy filler inside, so that it is stuffed quite firm. An optional idea is to add the loops of thread from the centre, around the outside of the cushion and back underneath to the centre again and add button or bead to the top.

I was quite pleased with the result so looked for more containers in my flea market stash....I found a part tea set with cups, jug and sugar bowl, so set to work again!
Trouble is, now that I have started, I can't stop!!!......I made some slightly larger ones in little rose transfer cups and a jug......Some may end up on my website, as you can only have so many pincushions!!! ......

5 comments:

  1. Again you have posted lovely photo's.
    What a wonderful idea of you, those little pincushions in china. They look absolutely adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful Niki, a great idea for those odd teacups we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are quite delicious, if a pincushion can be said to be delicious - adorable - sweet - delightful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever you ara Niki! they are lovely and I agree it is nice to do a little hand sewing sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, those pincushions are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx