Sunday, November 18, 2007

Treasure Seeking.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find unusual and quirky items at the antiques fairs recently. I spent the whole day yesterday at a large fair with hundreds of stands and thousands of items for sale, but it took a lot of effort to discover the elusive boudoir, one-of-a-kind treasures that I love to bring home. There were acres of brown furniture and china figurines (many costing hundreds of pounds), but that's just not my style......
I did find these cheerful little felt corsages and trims dating from the 1930's/40's that just need a little TLC.
And these two corsages that would have been made during wartime as part of the 'Make-do and Mend' campaign. They were created from tiny cones and beech nut husks, daubed with gold paint and stitched onto felt leaves with a safety pin fastening.
This tiny rose bud braid is exquisite and of a good usable length.
Some more sparkly brooches to add to hand crafted bags and special keepsakes.
A collection of Victorian photo album mounts with beautiful floral printed bouquets.

And my favourite treasure was this heavy cardboard screen. It is only a couple of feet high, so I am not entirely sure what it would have been used for. This is the kind of item I love to find, as I shall probably never see another again and adding items such as this to a home make it unique and interesting.
It features two romantic couples seated in a garden and probably dates from the Victorian era.
I hope you are all having a treasure filled weekend! Niki x

16 comments:

  1. Hi Niki, yes it was a bit of a disappointing fair wasn't it? But you found some lovely treasures; the screen is amazing!!

    Thank you for the very welcome cup of tea at your house afterwards - and for the beautiful 'you-know-what'! If you don't mind, I'd love to show it on my blog - now, I bet that's got everyone intrigued!

    Keep warm,

    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finds Niki,
    I agree with you about finding unusual things but I still love the thrill of the chase and who knows, that very special item might just be around the next stall, boot or antique centre. Enjoy the rest of your week-end.
    Sandi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Niki,
    great stuff! and it is all about the thrill of the hunt isn't it! xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That screen is absolutely beautiful, Niki! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - Perhaps you and Clare could jot across the pond and attend Brimfield sometime? =) (It's in my home state.) heehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:28 pm

    Hi Niki
    I went the day before you but didn't spot the felt flowers!
    they are lovely and the trims
    in fact every thing looks so
    pretty.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niki just finding the vintage brooches would have made me happy:)))

    best wishes Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well worth hunting for though Niki, I love the things you found especially the rosebud trim. You just never know what you'll find at fairs and boot sales do you, that's part of the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:26 pm

    You seem to find the neatest things...I think in the U.K. & Europe you have much older & better treasures than we have here. I think not only cuz our history isn't as old, but that we have a more disposable society - which is sad. People have thrown away great things just cuz it wasn't their style & thought old fashioned...everybody wants new. That 30s garden/cottage illustrated booklet from previous post is just dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found all the same things I would have been searching for there too, they are all lovely and the corsages are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Niki
    I love the felt corsages.. It is all about having the right eyes for the occasion and you know how to spot a treasure!
    I am sure you will turn your finds into something even more attractive..
    Love Michelex

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the screen and you scored on the pins. I think you found the best finds.

    Dona

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the screen is my fav too! What a good find. I love everything else of course but if I had to choose it would have to be that screen. It was just too wet and cold for me to venture out in pursuit of treasure. you're a brave woman!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Niki! Yes it is getting harder & harder to find nice fun stuff.. I love stopping by to see what treasure you have. Hope all is well with you.
    Take care! ~Mary~ :-}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Niki, you found some lovely treasures nonetheless. I wish we had estate sales here in the UK, I hate that someone else has already made the decision as to what is saleable and what will be discarded whether it be at a charity shop, antiques fair or car boot sale. I shudder to think what might be getting thrown out. I also wonder whether the day will come when all the treasures run out - wouldn't that be awful!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Niki,
    Sometimes they are like that. You did find a few nice things.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx