Hope your week is going well...
I've been busy today, mostly with laundering vintage fabrics and the ironing of lots of antique linens. There's been time for a few small projects too, such as some sewing (what's new?!) and this...
I forget to mention this original painting that was given to me by Michele at the vintage jumble. I had admired it at the start of the sale, but Michele and I both agreed that ideally the painting needed re-framing, as its original mount had suffered a large amount of foxing over the years. Not keen to take on yet another project, I decided not to buy it! ? - I know...not a wise move! ;-))
But, as I was packing up at the end of the day, the painting appeared amongst my boxes. Michele had very kindly given the painting to me! - So with a need to do justice to this generous gesture, I had a look through my workroom supplies, and I found this old black Victorian picture frame...
The black wasn't going to be right for the painting, but the size was good, so I first gave it a coat of green paint.
The painting and board was then trimmed to fit and secured safely inside the frame with pins and brown gummed tape. I find it so easy to talk myself out of projects such as this, but it doesn't always take very long, and the end result can be very satisfying.
Yesterday, I was given the opportunity to join two gentlemen who were in the process of clearing an old cottage. Sadly, a 96 year old lady had passed away and the job of emptying her home had to be done. This was particularly poignant for me, as the lady was the same age as my Nan, who passed away last month. To see the contents of this lady's home being looked through and sorted into saleable items was very sad, but I hoped that she would have been pleased to see that the items that I came away with, would be put to good use and be enjoyed by future generations.
I was allowed to buy all of the fabrics throughout the cottage. Although she was clearly not a particularly, financially well-off lady, she did have some pretty textiles here and there, which she must have enjoyed using throughout her home to add colour and pattern to the windows and alcoves.
The fabrics themselves ranged in size from small cushion sized squares, to large curtain lengths. Some appeared to be unused. They ranged in age from around the 1940's up to the 1970's, I would say.
I've photographed some of them, roughly travelling in order from the earlier ones, up to the later 70's examples. Some are quite iconic designs of their time - I thought that you might like to see...*
I think these oyster satin finished fabrics will make beautiful bedroom cushions when combined with antique lace.
Quality bird printed fabric by John Lewis.
Hope you enjoyed taking a look!
I've been making a lot of cushion covers over the last couple of months, as these seem to be what is selling for the moment...I like to make generous 18" square ones (in pairs if I have enough fabric), but I am beginning to realise how quickly my supplies of vintage fabrics are going down, now that I am cutting into them so regularly...So its always encouraging to know that there are still lovely usable lengths out there, awaiting discovery.