Sunday, August 28, 2011

Down Came the Rain...

Today was another date with my local flea market, but once again the rain scuppered things a little. This time the stall holders were reluctant to even set out their wares, as it looked fairly set in for the day...but some braved it and despite me having completely the wrong footwear (It was bright and sunny when I left home!) I did find a few treasures to bring home...as well as my soggy socks!
I get quite a few emails from ladies in other countries throughout the world, saying how lucky we are in the UK to have so many lovely things at our flea markets. I agree that we do, but anyone trawling the flea markets will know, it is not easy to find these goodies. It takes a lot of hard work sorting through a lot of merchandise on all of the stalls. I've been there for around 5 hours this morning in my squelchy shoes(!) and parted with the whole of my budget for the day, coming home with the selection you see here - Actually, not including the chest of drawers above...I bought those the other day and they are awaiting another map make-over. (I do still have some mixed feelings about the markets though and it remains true to say that bargains can be found in all sorts of places ;-))

I thought this pair of leather covered fireside seats, with lift-up lid for coal storage were rather wonderful. From the Deco era, obviously; they should shine-up beautifully.
Then some items more usual for me...a lovely Scottish mohair scarf, floral fascinator and fab 50's pinny.
I loved this satin evening gown, also from the 50's, but it is in need of a lot of TLC...but I have plans...
The little shabby box is from France and would have contained baptism chocolates.

Close-up of the satin fabric, with metal thread detail. And the little French box.
This gorgeous bedspread, probably from the 1930's, has also seen better days, but I thought the beautiful embroidery worth saving.
It has potential!

There's some 'cutter' French linen sheets from Lizzie and Jack, which are always useful for backing cushions. I also found this Alice in Wonderland themed fabric and a collection of unused French hat veils.

An embroidered cottage in a rather grim modern frame...but I can do something about that...

One item I bought just for me, was this lovely Victorian jug. It came from Jennie.
The roses are a present for the shop...I usually buy fresh flowers to add to my displays, but it can be expensive buying them every week, so when there is little on offer in my garden that I can take in, I shall use these artificial ones instead.

Finally, old photos and postcards, which are always a good buy.
That's it for today...thanks dropping in. My shop will be closed next week, whilst I get sorted out at home...a final break before the run up to Christmas!!!
Enjoy the Bank Holiday tomorrow,
Niki x

11 comments:

  1. Love all your new stuff, Niki. I can't believe someone would store coal in such pretty furniture! And your embroideries are amazing... done by hand in those days. My grandma was really good at it. Machines have ruined that skill, I think. Your artificial flowers are gorgeous. From this angle they look real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some super finds today! Well done. We too spend hours in soggy fields searching for those odd, rare items. Have a super weekend and time off. Can't believe it is time to gear up for Christmas already.Hollyxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, whenever I visit I delight in the treasures you find. These delicate little dresers for a girls are a dream! Greetings from the Caribbean, Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great finds.Worth getting wet for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely to see you today (albeit very briefly!!) I am so glad you found some gorgeous things to buy. have a wonderful restful week off! Lizzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore that giant grey antique feather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Niki.
    You have found wonderful things!
    Here are fifteen days that it does not rain and the temperature is 38°
    the meadows are yellow.
    The views are very sad ... :o(
    I wish you good job and a dear greeting, Maria.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finds again. Thank you for the purchase and the 'plug'. Have a good week off - hope the weather is better than yesterday!
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you cant see me coz I am drooling I love what you found as always and would have bought the same things,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:48 am

    What beautiful finds! I haven't visited in far, far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx