Friday, December 06, 2013

Vintage & Handmade Christmas Fair

The Town Hall, Chipping Sodbury, BS37 6AD
10am - 3pm. £1.00 admission

A c1930's Barbola mirror that I wanted to 'rescue', had suffered a few knocks to its fragile frame... 

I searched through my stash of vintage millinery flowers and found out all the pretty little velvet ones...
Which I glued in place to hide the damage on the frame.
This will be coming with me to the fair...
Some of the other items I'm bringing too:-
A new batch of hand stitched padded coat hangers.
Each one is covered in a generous length of gathered vintage fabric, with lace at the hook and a removable costume brooch to finish.

Always a popular gift, and will make an inexpensive item of clothing look special.

Another old item that I wanted to give a new lease of life to, was this doll's house. It wasn't the most perfect of examples and inside had seen better days, but for my plans, this was fine.
I wanted to use it purely as display, so set about 'neutralizing' it over a few days...
A few coats of cream paint inside and out...

And then I lined the rooms in various old book pages and papers.


I sprinkled some mica glitter along the roof line for a festive touch...
And glued some vintage lace at the windows to finish.
I have recently bought a large collection of vintage doll's house furniture and some miniature dolls. Some of these I will offer for sale at bargain prices at the fair and will display them inside the house.




Even if you don't own a doll's house, the miniature furniture can look cute on display in the full-size home too! 

If I end up selling all of the furniture, the doll's house will then become the perfect place to display some of my handmade fairy dolls...
Talking of which...
The newest collection of TEN festive gals (plus one extra special piece ;-)), who shall accompany me to the fair, are...
Rejoice
*** 
Poinsettia 
***
Star

***
Purity
***
Tinsel

***
Grace

***
Winter
***
Hope
***
Merry
***
and Plum Pudding
***
My pièce de résistance is a framed fairy called Wonder.
The old plaster frame I mentioned here, was given a coat of palest pink paint. Using some special antique lace, trinkets and adornments to match the paint colour, I carefully dressed her in her finery to create this one-of-a-kind keepsake to treasure.
Her wings are real Quail feathers.
Hand dyed silk ribbon sash, carved abalone shell button and a rusty key complete her costume.

(If truth be known, I'll be happy to keep her if she doesn't sell!)
***
Another doll to join the line-up is Joy. She is one of my medium sized rag dolls.

She is dressed in an antique baby gown which I have embroidered with the message 'Merry Christmas'. A sweet angel decoration to treasure.

***
This is Eleanor - One of my large rag dolls.
She is dressed in some vintage Laura Ashley floral fabrics, tickings, hand-worked crochet lace and a cardigan made from a wonderfully soft angora-mix sweater that I finished with a variety of vintage buttons and a hand knitted lace collar with brooch fastening. 

I'll have lots of little affordable antique and vintage treasures coming with me too, all perfect as stocking-filler gifts or decorative accents for the festive season. 
Hope to see you there for this final fair or 2013!
Off to work now - Have a great day and weekend!
Niki x

 I shall be closed on Saturday 7th December, whilst I attend the Vintage & Handmade Christmas Fair, Chipping Sodbury. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Niki everything is wonderful!!!
    Your fairy dols as always are beautiful!I am in love with Elanour and adore her Laura Ashley outfit and the colours too!
    The doll house for display is a wonderful idea and has made me think of getting mine out of the attic to pop under the tree ;) I have a little doll bed that i painted grey that i'm going to pop under the tree and fill with presents...ooh see your post has me all festive! :)
    Have a wonderful time at that fair xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just put "ditto" to Shingle Cottage's compliments above!
    Such beautiful creations.
    Have a great day tomorrow
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Niki, I spent now the last half hour looking at every detail of your fabulous creations and am even more sad not to be able to be at the fair. Can imagine all those lucky ladies who can come and get some of these beautiful items. I am sure you will have great sales and good fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx