Saturday, February 08, 2014

The Romance of Handmade Gifts


Last week I welcomed journalist Suzanne Savill and her photographer (sorry, forgotten his name - very bad of me!) to my shop. Suzanne writes for the Western Daily Press and today the article is featured in the West Country Life magazine, which comes free inside the weekend edition of the paper.

A lovely French postcard and rusty antique keys from my shop also made the front cover of the magazine.
My thanks go to Suzanne for her in-depth article all about my shop, its history to date, and the passion I feel for Shepton Mallet's high street. Suzanne seemed truly interested in my story and has written the piece beautifully - I am very grateful to her and the magazine for running the details. It is my hope that the two page spread will bring more people to the town looking for something a little different for Valentine's Day and beyond.
If you would like to read the article but are unable to buy a copy of the newspaper, it can be found on-line here, with lots of additional photos.

The article came about because Suzanne found my blog on the Internet and was interested in the story of my handmade items here.

***
Today I've been busy making cushions...
This one I made from a glorious vintage floral - same front and back.
(Two more to finish off, which I shall show next week.)
***
While I'm here though, I thought I'd just show you this wonderful old trunk I treated myself to today...
I can't tell you how much I love this shabby old piece! 
It has been covered long ago in wallpaper samples, which I would date to the 1920's and 30's.
Inside as well!

Not quite sure where I am going to put it yet, but know I will treasure it always...
I bought it from my friend Anna who runs Cloud 7 with her husband Tomasz, just around the corner from my shop...Far too tempting! ;-)).
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Niki x

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! Brilliant news, congratulations. I hope it brings you lots of additional business, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, prettiest trunk ever! What a special find. Nothing makes my heart beat faster than vintage wallpaper (well, maybe my husband!)
    Congrats on your magazine spread, what a great feeling that must be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely spread on you and your cute little shop! Hopefully that extra exposure will bring more folks in to shop not only in your shop but in S-M in general!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki.
    I'm happy for the article on your shop! We return to England in May, I ask you to get a copy! I would be happy to have her with me. ;o))
    Again, there is water everywhere, the bad weather did so much damage and it's doing it again!
    I'll see you soon, *Maristella*.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic article, Niki! So pleased for you for this trunk. I will definitely come in beginning of March, cannot let such an opportunity to look through all the beautiful items in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article, congratulations! Your shop sounds amazing.
    Love that gorgeous shabby floral trunk - just beautiful!!!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article Niki congratulations!
    Oh wow look at your trunk! What a beautiful fabulous find,It's going to look so perfect in your home xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx