Friday, November 12, 2010

Welly Weather

Just a quick post, as I don't have much to report at the moment...I've been keeping my head down and working hard in the shop. Despite the awful weather this week, I've had some brave souls visiting my shop, with them venturing out in heavy rains and blustery winds.
At the beginning of the week I changed all of my shop windows to reflect the Edwardian era in line with the BBC series, Turn Back Time.

The front window has a wedding theme to echo the wedding breakfast that the families in the show had to work towards.
I wanted to include the reference to 'Votes for Women' too, so added one of my handmade brooch pillows.

The side windows include an 'afternoon tea' display, to reflect the new tea shop that opened for the first time, after the premises being a bakers during the Victorian episode...

And the arrival of the dressmaker on the Market Place inspired my other window, where I included lots of old buttons and sewing equipment.
There is currently a competition running in Shepton Mallet where participants have to identify mystery antique items hidden in the shop windows. Mine is the small brass item at the front with the number 4. (If you know what it is, keep it a secret! ;-))

Tomorrow I need to have a change around elsewhere in the shop, as a number of key items have sold today...

There's still lots of pretty items lining the shelves though...
Chamber pots a plenty!...

And other rose printed china jostles for space on the dresser.
I am on the lookout for more vintage partywear as we head towards the festive season though...
along with matching accessories.

But I have a large selection of vintage bling in stock for that final flourish!

*

I'm also working hard to produce a few new items for this months Vintage & Handmade Fair, which is fast approaching! - Where does the time go?!
Have a lovely weekend...
Niki x

16 comments:

  1. your shop looks lovely. would love to have a 'poke around'.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying the series and your windows are lovely!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. cats,dogsandeiderdowns9:47 pm

    Dear Niki,
    Thank you for leaving a nice message on my blog - you are the one that set me off by telling me how to get started!
    I wish that I could pop into your shop on a more regular basis - although my bank balance would suffer greatly.
    I hope that the TV show makes people re-evaluate their towns - the big shops have had their own way for far too long.
    Hope to see you soon.

    June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki.
    I love this shop - is a dream ...
    Lovely lovely lovely .....
    Good job and a hug
    Maria.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shop is looking amazing Niki. Let me know if you are looking for anything particular in the party clothing line.. as I have rails and rails of it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear Niki, it's been a while since I popped by .... pretty much anywhere in blogland .... and what a pleasure it is to visit you again. The shop looks absolutely gorgeous (of course!) and how I envy your fabulous brooch collection. Hey, I haven't got a 'stone house' but I'm getting my own cottage, Australian style, very soon - yay! I'll visit again soon. So glad for you that things are going so well. Suzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your window displays are beautiful and I'm sure people visiting the town, following the programme, will appreciate your efforts.
    We have sun and blue skies here in Yorkshire, hope it is the same in
    Shepton Mallet and that your shop is full of customers.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely display and lovely pictures, Niki, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking lovely as usual Niki
    see you soon
    T X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I come here, I long to visit the UK again! I had such a wonderful trip, and Bath was one of my VERY favorites on that trip! I would LOVE to browse through your shop! My dream is to live in a sweet little cottage in England...ahhhhh, that would be so nice. Have a beautiful day!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:28 pm

    Hi Niki, I have been following your blog for some time now, and have just caught up on the last 22 of your postings. I wanted to say if everyone had your passion & interest for Shepton Mallet to become a thriving community the town would be booming. I love your photos of your different themes for your sho windows ~ you certainly put alot of work & passion into your business ~well done. Many years ago my Father owned a small butcher shop, but once the big shopping centres opened his business lost customers. I love using our local butcher & green grocer. And when choosing gifts I look out for the special handmade items. All the best from Jenny McH in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Polly and I were so excited when we saw your shop last week, we didnt know so it was a great suprize...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is bealtiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd bear the winds and rains to come in your shop if I could! The windows look nice Nikki! I do not know what that brass thing is...

    (phyllis)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i so agree with the comments above and cheer when I watch the TV show knowing you are there with your gorgeous shop - a shining star of hope. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Lovely to see your beautiful shop on TV tonight, Nikki. I haven't been here for a while, so didn't know anything about it! Saw it purely by chance .....but recognised it instantly! What a fun project! (I kept hoping we would be treated to a peek at your wonderful window display...)Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx