Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So Far This Week...


As I said in my previous post, I've been in an 'achieving mood' so I thought I'd just update my blog with a few of the things I've been up to so far (ignoring the supermarket shopping and boring things like that that we all have to do... :)
A recent purchase was this old wooden mirror/shelf thingy. 
It had been previously painted, but not that well, so I set-to with my paintbrush and some 'milk white' paint that we had in the cupboard. I'd like it to go on the wall in our hall, so when hubby next has some time to do this, I'll show it in its new place.

I've done some more vintage buying...the little hand embroidered tea cosy, napkin and tray cloth will be for the shop. The album of cards are for my friend for Christmas, who loves anything garden related.
LOVE these two painting books by Raphael Tuck....I think the cottage printed one needs to be a keeper.
Inside there are printed pages to paint and also some blank pages for sketching. I love that a child drew a picture of their radio (below)...really dates the book! 

These craft pages (probably from the 30's/40's) are wonderful and full of inspiration... 
A pouffe made from fabric covered tin cans!

I had a large quantity of lace from another recent buying trip, that I've laundered...
which inevitably meant there was a lot of ironing to follow...
But it does seem more satisfying somehow to press lovely antique laces than it does my hubby's shirts!

I completed a little craft project yesterday too. I bought this rather jazzy turquoise glass lamp base which was without a shade. The plain shade came from a charity shop, which I decided to cover.

I used a vintage floral fabric, which I bonded onto the shade with PVA glue. I finished it with hand crocheted lace.


The padded coat hangers, which had been a WIP, are now complete. I added lace bows to the hooks and a vintage costume brooch to the front.



Flowers from my daughters wedding - the pink roses are artificial, but the fresh hydrangea heads have now dried nicely.
I had quite a few props left after the wedding. These antique books were used as decoration on the guest tables. I wanted to keep a few of them...
...And considered arranging some along the mantelpiece in our living room...but against the white walls, they looked a little dark and too prominent. I'll hang on to a few for a while and see if I can come up with something...the rest will head to my shop on Thursday.

Another corner of our home...just because.
The large glazed cupboard that I mentioned was going to be put up on our landing wall is now in position. Its quite a large cabinet and holds my antique shoe collection and other goodies.
It sparked a thought in my mind and I am now working on a new photographic calendar for 2013, (as seen in previous years) which will feature some of my collections in this and my other cabinets. I'll let you know if it works out OK.
So that's it for now...today I plan to make another Christmas cake, finish getting my stock ready for the vintage jumble sale on Saturday and start making some festive goodies for the other upcoming Xmas fairs.
Have a lovely day,
Niki x

5 comments:

  1. The sketch of the radio is interesting, if bought new the radio would have been twenties, and as people didn't replace things every five minutes, it probably dates the drawing about early thirties......
    I know what you mean about how nice it is to press vintage lace rather than husbands shirts actually that is what I have been doing this morning!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:30 pm

    Lovely treasures as always. I particularly like the painting/sketching books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki.
    I'm glad you decided to prepare the calendar for 2013.
    Next year when we return to England, I will take certainly at home.
    Did you see my last post? ;o))
    Hugs and kisses, *Mary*.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not dye the couch. It is nice to have some color, though the blank looks good, clean, and kind of perfect for Halloween. it like one of those bog mansions where people get stuck and everything looks vintage. I remember once that I travelled to Argentina and got this apartment for rent in buenos aires. All of its furniture was pink. I flet like in the Barbie store. After a few days I got used to it, and thought it would be nice to have the house dyed like that for Halloween. The little girls would love it... but it is just too much wrk for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I burnt my Christmas cake - I could weep
    Litteanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx