Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Heart Wanders

I hope you had a VERY Merry Christmas!

We had a lovely time...It was wonderful to spend three days with our middle daughter and her family. To have a little one in the house again at this special time of year made it perfect. 

She got the hang of opening her presents and soon had it down to a fine art! :)


Lovely chaotic dinner time!

Boxing day walk.
I had some lovely gifts. 

Some from New Zealand.

Watch and Barbola bowl from a friend. 
I also had this book from a friend.
There are some truly beautiful photographs inside...
But I'm not totally sure about the message the book gives out - Perhaps I need to read more before I judge it. I'm sure it would be inspirational to an 18 year old just starting out in life, who can perhaps afford to be a bit selfish...
But for a woman nearer 50 than 40 and with all sorts of commitments, it can be difficult to think of following your heart to any great length...
There are some words that I agree with in the book, but they are documented as advice from the authors mother! Perhaps that says it all...?!
It has got me thinking...but then that is something that happens at this time of year anyway. The days before the New Year feel like a fresh slate and if you're lucky enough to have some time off work, I think it gives you an opportunity to re-evaluate.
I may be closing my blog, or possibly just keeping it as part of my website. I may give Facebook a try and see where that takes me...Its a difficult decision, as I have been Blogging since 2006, but perhaps it has run its course... ?
If I can just quote a few lines from Pia Jane Bijerks book above, then maybe you can see where I am coming from?...

"The simple mention of Paris had a direct influence on people's impression of my life. When I first arrived back in Sydney, each time someone expressed adulation my immediate reaction was to counterbalance it with the negative, which is when I received the blank, unbelieving stares in return. My mother was always questioning this habit of mine, her voice echoing over the years: 'Why do you feel you have to explain everything to people?' 'Because it's the truth!' I would snap back. 'People don't want to know the truth. They want to believe what they want to believe no matter what lengths you may go to for the truth. Conserve your energy, my love - live your life and enjoy it, don't worry about what other people think.' It took my mother saying this at least a thousand times over a period of twenty or so years before it started to sink in. I was redefining my life and it was important to just get on with it and enjoy as many moments of it as possible."

**
I'll be back to wish you a Happy New Year and to look back at 2012 from the bits I chose to share on my blog.
Much happiness be yours,
Niki x

12 comments:

  1. We had little ones over Christmas, it was quite lovely to see their little faces when they had their gifts.

    Please don't close your blog, I will miss you - I don't do Facebook very well, well, not at all!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. My blog ran its course and I do not miss it. Try facebook it might be something you enjoy. I did not (but it is very popular here in the States). Your house is decorated adorably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would greatly miss your blog but would understand if you changed courses. I don't do Facebook or any other social media just my preference. But wish you success in whatever you decide. Glad to see you had a nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas table looks so festive.

    I've kind of dropped off blogging but still enjoy reading others. I do do facebook as such but again like reading more than posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog SO SO much
    I hate face book so so much
    it's funny because .......
    I'm thinking of quitting face book and putting more time into my blog again
    I would miss you very much if you stopped blogging
    to me ... face book lacks warmth
    your blog is lovely

    Happy New Year to you and your family Niki !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The truth of that paragraph came to me last summer but I'm still working on how to apply it to my life. My blog has fallen by the wayside. I enjoy reading blogs but rarely comment as I feel like a stalker :-). Whatever you decide to do I wish you well. I have enjoyed reading it and visiting Shepton Mallet (awhile ago).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to share Christmas with a little one... your granddaughter looks so precious in her Boxing Day walking attire! I can relate to slowing down with blogging. I rarely blog myself these days, but do keep up with my original favorites (one of which is yours)! Facebook is very popular here, but can become a bit scary if you don't set your privacy settings properly. I have however been re-acquainted with many childhood friends I've lost contact with since moving away from home. One dear high school friend who found me on facebook actually lives near me now, and we have a nice dinner out together once a month (so Facebook can be a wonderful thing)!
    Happy New Year, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Niki
    wise words indeed.
    I don't like fb at all but was suckered in...if you do start just have it for your business.
    See you in the spring.
    T x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about doing just a business fb because I know its the right thing to do, but to be honest I really don't want to spend any more precious time at the keyboard and any friends who I really want to keep in contact with, I do just that.
    I quite like the fact with blogging that by (hopefully) creating an interesting post for others to read, you can also often put your random thoughts in order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is a beautiful place and one of the very few that I still follow. I will miss you if you go, but I do understand. I have facebook but its not quite the same as blog.

    Your Christmas pictures were so lovely and your grandchild is a real sweetie.

    All the best for 2013 to you and your family Niki.

    Best wishes Ginny & co x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Niki!

    I would just say that I am like many of the others who have commented - I would really miss your posts, but would understand. It is a lot of work and a lot of time to put together these posts, and if you don't get many comments, it can feel like no one is listening, even though you can see your stats and know they are visiting.

    There are millions who are on FB, but I am another one who is not one of them. I really question their policies and handling (mishandling?) of privacy and then with all the talk about some of those social media sites using members photos without compensation . . . well, it just seems wrong to me.

    I feel like I have a little more control over what I put on my blog as opposed to what they (social media sites) decide they will release about me. (That may be a bit misguided or naive on my part! :)

    My New Year's wish is that you would continue to blog . . . maybe not as often or shorter posts . . . if it makes it more manageable for you and we still get to see all your lovely photos and things! :) But, that is me being selfish! Bottom line is what you want and need to make your life happy! :)

    If we don't get any more posts, let me say now how much I have enjoyed all your posts, . . . even though I don't always comment! ! ! Thank you! ! ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely family Christmas. It would be hard to see you leave the blogging world, but obviously FB could be useful to you. Lola Nova just links her blog posts to an update on FB - as simple as that. It's rather different and possibly more time-consuming, which is hard to believe! Time-wasting, rather than time-consuming, actually, if you're not careful. Do what's right for you, anyway -happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx