Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Textile Treasures

Although there is a place in our home for the more 'usual' ornaments such as pretty china or framed pictures on the walls, it is the more unusual items that are more likely to have pride of place. I am particularly drawn to any textile related finds. The diversity can be remarkable - each piece fashioned from just a few scraps of fabric and some well placed stitches to create something beautiful and unique to each crafts person.
If items have some age to them too, then I am all the more likely to offer them a resting place...
Here are a few little treasures that I may not have shared on my blog before:

This little cottage shaped pincushion came from Denise. Her husband made me laugh when she handed it over to me - he thought it was a bit manky and wondered if it was beyond rescuing!
Its roof is a little bit bald, but it still has charm! - Its been used and loved!


I love this old handmade knitting bag...The crumpled velvet flowers finish it off a treat.

A hat box in my collection, covered in a textured brocade, has the most gorgeous 3-dimensional applique to its lid.

Sculpted from velvets and silks, and ingrained with dust(!), it is a treasure to me.

The grapes are worn through to the filling, but I just love the look of this piece.

A Victorian velvet log cabin patchwork of the teeniest size hangs on the banister rail down into my workroom.

Another little cottage pincushion - this was a recent find at a textile fair and was just a few pounds.

Hanging on a screen in our bedroom is a coat entirely hand stitched, and made from lengths of French lace joined together. I imagine it was an over-layer for a wedding dress, as the hemline at the back is shaped with a small train.

Ever on the lookout for textile treasures, the ones that usually stay with me are those which are a little tattered and torn - They have a history and have been enjoyed.

I know you know what I mean!
Have a lovely day,
Niki x

12 comments:

  1. Oh my what lovely things - I hope you will be open on Tuesday 28 September as I am hoping to visit your lovely shop that day.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that your house is a real treasure trove, what a lovely treat to have a glimpse.
    Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki
    A lovely post and such pretty things too. The hatbox is so unusual with the stump work style decoration. Thanks for the link. I know that Brenda, the friend who the little cottage pincushion belonged to, would be very pleased to know the cottage has a lovely new home. :-)
    Hoping all is well with you. I've not been to the shop for a while and hope to pop in during the next couple of weeks,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely - I adored seeing those treasures, Niki! Some are similar to things I treasure, and some I have never seen the like of...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing us your textile treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always on the lookout for such lovely treasures also Niki! Handwork and the ladies who created it have always fascinated me. Thanks for sharing!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful treasures, all lovely. Thank you for showing them to us.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful treasures, all lovely. Thank you for showing them to us.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´m in love... with your pincushions, oh, I wish they were mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your treasures are so so beautiful; thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that first cottage pincushion is just darling. So glad you rescued it. It surely has lots of character. This is my first visit to your blog and I must say it is very lovely.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Niki,
    Susanna is in Verona, Italy, remember me?
    Always follow your blog is a source of inspiration,
    I like it too.
    Next year I am yet to see you, I can not wait!
    Now I have a blog too, come to see me?
    A big hug SUSANNA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx