Well, those curtains I mentioned weren't going to make themselves, were they(?), so I knuckled down yesterday afternoon to get them done...
The spare single bedroom is half-way through being reworked, but as we need the room for a guest next week, I had to get on with making it usable just for now.
I bought a wonderful unused bolt of old Sanderson fabric back in 2007. I loved it at the time and knew I would one day find a use for it. It was such a fantastic discovery, to have so much unused vintage fabric of a good usable quantity to create something with. (It came from a Talent for Textiles Fair at Claverton Manor, which will be the fair I shall be attending in September.)
The colours are gloriously vibrant, as if they were printed yesterday...not some 70+ years ago! You may remember that I have a soft spot for these old Sanderson cottons, as seen when I did a bit of 'grannyfying' back in 2009!
The only problem with these old fabrics is that the looms that they were produced on, were very narrow, when compared with today's. This fabric was just 30" (approx 75cm) wide. To give my curtains some fullness, I was going to have to make each curtain at least two widths...and I wasn't sure if I had enough...particularly when I discovered half way through the bolt that the fabric was cut across its width! I also had to allow for matching up the pattern at the seams...But as you can see, I just about had enough and was able to get four lengths out of it. (I have enough to make a cushion too, which will be perfect for the little bed.)
So, quite a few straight lines of stitching later, and the addition of a narrow heading tape, the curtains were made. No lining - I just kept things simple.
The iron bed is the one I used for display in my shop, when I first opened.
I'll show more of this room when its complete, but finishing-off will have to wait. At least our guests can enjoy the space for now...
The light in this room is lovely in the mornings, as it faces the sunrise...So there's definitely a need for curtains!
Phew, job done!