Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Celebrating in Salisbury

Hubs and I are just back from a couple of nights away to celebrate my Birthday. After shopping for hours at our local flea market first (for most of Sunday), we then headed-off to Salisbury for the evening, staying at the Rose & Crown which is a pleasant 10 minute walk out of the city from Cathedral Close. 
The next morning we visited C18th Mompesson House, which was featured  in the  award winning film Sense and Sensibility - (One of my all-time favourite films! ;-))





On Tuesday, before returning home, we visited Salisbury Cathedral... 



And booked ourselves on a Tower Tour. The guided tour took over an hour and a half to complete and was very worthwhile. There were six of us on the tour, where we were  taken behind the scenes of the fine architecture and elaborate decoration to appreciate how the cathedral was constructed and the measures that have been taken over the centuries to keep it standing!  
The first level is a balcony just above the huge arches that swamp the visitors below.
And eye to eye at stained glass level! 
Then its up further to view the roof structure and the reverse side of the curved stone ceilings. 

Onwards towards the tower and spire...which involves climbing several spiral staircases built in the 1930's. 

Ancient graffiti scribed into the limestone can be seen throughout the tour... 

The small clear glass window sections at the top of the tower were engraved by visitors to the cathedral in the 1990's as a fundraiser...There are some lovely messages and dedications.

A final glance up inside the spire...Then its out onto the parapets on each side of the tower for more far reaching views! 


(Looking up to the top of the spire that no longer stands straight, and which often sways several inches in high winds! - Thankfully all was calm on Tuesday!)
We had a very special time away. I was also spoilt with some wonderful gifts from friends and family - I'll show some  on my next post if I can find the time...I found some treasures at the flea which I'd love to show too...I'll be back when I can.
Enjoy the rest of your week,

Niki x

8 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday Niki!

    Looks like you had a fabulous time. I love Salisbury and often nip there for Saturday shopping with my girls (it's not far from me). But I never knew visitors were allowed up the tower of the cathedral. - I'll have to look into that :o)

    Looking forward to seeing your buys and pressies.
    Have a great Birthday week, and take care,
    Love Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday
    Love
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niki
    Happy birthday with all my heart!
    I hope that you will be relaxed, Salisbury is a very pretty town, we visited us.
    Good weekend to you, please come by the next post. :):)
    Hughs and kisses, Maria.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Niki,
    happy belated birthday!
    You sound to have been spoiled (well deserved) and I love the tour of Salisbury. However, the last pictures make my head dizzy ;-). Looking forward to seeing your gifts and what you found at the flea market. But take your time - no rush. Love, Bayou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - those views are amazing!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mompesson House looks incredible - Sense and Sensibility is one of my favourite films too! Sounds like an all round perfect birthday treat - and yes - what an incredibly view, great pictures! Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What BEAUTIFUL photos! I know you must have had a great time, and Happy belated Birthday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have enjoyed my tour of Salisbury - it's a place I've never been to, so will have to correct that asap. xCathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx