Saturday, December 06, 2014

Time Flies

One of my recent purchases was this old c1930's mantle clock.
The person I bought it from told me it hadn't worked for years, so I felt justified in pulling out the clock mechanism from inside, as I had plans for the case...All the little cogs and thing-a-ma-bobs would be useful too though!
The old wooden case, with its little door at the back said 'fairy house' to me :)
Hubby helped me cut away the wooden section from the clock face to create a window.
I papered the inside with antique book pages and hung lace at the window. 
The heavy brass clock part on the floor would become a seat for the inhabitant!
I then added a few time related accessories, which included an egg timer, doll's house grandfather clock, a pocket calendar from 1936 and a 'poster' of Old Father Time. On the egg timer table, I placed two small glass bottles full of glitter and labelled them 'sands of time'. 
Then to create the timepiece fairy. She's dressed in antique lace and trims and is finished with items salvaged from the clock, such as the hands and some cogs to create a hat. 
She also holds a small watch face and a large clock key. 
'Thyme' was then settled in to her new home...

I added some words to the opened door to complete the artwork.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
 (J.R.R.Tolkein - The Fellowship of the Ring.)
I've decided my time will be spent creating one-off fairies and artworks! 
This one will be coming with me to the Vintage & Handmade Christmas Fair next Saturday. 
Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

7 comments:

  1. Lovely - you have a wonderful imagination Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful - I love it!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have got the magic touch, I think you can take anything and turn it into something beautiful and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. I love your style. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Niki, really stunning! Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely darling, dear Niki! What a beautiful mind you have - and magic hands. Suzy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx