Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Urchin


So pleased to find another old box frame whilst out foraging a few weeks ago - It set me on a creative path to make another Victorian style 'specimen fairy'. 
I lined the back board in pages from an antique copy of 'Swiss Family Robinson'. I chose as many of the sea-themed illustrations as I could find.
At the bottom of the recessed frame I added a tiny bottle filled with fragments of sea glass collected in Mallorca. Also some pretty glass marbles and pebbles, with a sprinkling of iridescent glitter. 
Then for the captured fairy...This is Urchin. 
She is dressed in a skirt made from layers of vintage millinery netting and flecked chiffon.
She wears a silk bodice with sequined cummerbund and a large diamante ship brooch with attached anchor. I trimmed her hair with vintage dyed shells, mother-of-pearl buttons and a tiny sea urchin.
Being behind glass, I thought she'd be ideal as a decorative feature in a bathroom, with her water theme. 
She's another artwork coming with me to the Vintage & Handmade Christmas Fair on Saturday. 
One more fairy artwork to show you tomorrow, then a parade of other new gals.
Niki x

2 comments:

  1. Absolutley stunning work Niki!
    You are so very creative and add so much detail to your work,your stall is going to be so wonderful x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx