Friday, July 16, 2010

Shepton Mallet was Looking Particularly Gorgeous Yesterday...

It wasn't difficult to guess what was going on when I arrived in the town bright and early...

So I quickly changed the window display at the front of my shop to fit in with the activities.

*

*

*
C1930's silk and lace bodice.

I don't think I should give too much away at this stage, so I will publish some of the 111 photos that I took yesterday(!), later in the year once the BBC's programme has been shown.
The Market Cross did look wonderfully romantic though...
*
Yesterday was the final day of the filming of the Edwardian era.

The shops today are starting their transformation to the 1930's style. Filming for that will begin again next week.
Before they took everything away from the Edwardian Grocer's shop, I asked if I could buy all of the lavender bunches that they had left. I was allowed, and this morning I had the wonderfully fragrant task of tying up the 22 bunches for drying.
Lavender was used as a tea drink during this era, and so was readily available from the grocers shop at the time. I believe the lavender flowers that I‘ve bought were locally grown - they are beautifully fresh and hopefully will dry well. I tied each bunch with a length of antique lace and some purple seam binding ribbon to form a loop for hanging.
I then clipped them up on the display pole above my shop's counter.
They smell divine and I've already sold several bunches this afternoon.
*
And more flowers arrived today - These were from Jill, who called into my shop this morning with this pretty posy. Thank you Jill!
*
*
That's it for now...

Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

19 comments:

  1. Hello Niki! Your shop looks like such a treasure...oh, how I wish it was in my town! Everything here is sooo beautiful and charming! ...I just get lost in a dream every time I pop in!...How exciting about the BBC filming. Your photos are wonderful, and I loved your new window display. Have a great, lovely smelling weedend! ;) Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful - the lavender bunches you made. But then everything about your shop is lovely. I'm hoping I can get over for the 1930s event. I wonder if they'll arrange a 1930s market? In any case I am assuming the modern revived Friday market is still going? best wishes Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh - that's literally "Christmas in July"! I hope we are able to view this programme over here in the States once it is completed. Happy Weekend, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you lucky thing working with that lovely smell all day.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niki, Long time no see!
    Great to see your shop is still as gorgeous as when I came to visit!

    Quick thinking asking about the lavender, what a great business woman you are eh? So pretty too, I don't know anyone who has ever said they don't enjoy it's heavenly scent. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun it would be to have time to watch everything from your vantage point! I'm glad you are sharing some pictures with us, too. The lavender bunches are so full and colorful. They must have been heavenly to work on with the pretty lace and ribbon! Have a great weekend. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can smell that lovely Lavender just looking at the picture
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lavender looks gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Niki another lovely post - noted the time you did it!! I am so lazy at posting I just dont know how you do it. The lavender is lovely what a deep blue. I cannot wait to see the programme when it is on the box. Have a good summer - I think yours is one of those shops you need a couple of hours in at least............

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very nice , all the pictures you take !
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. how wonderful, how exciting to see all the filming! LOVE the lavender, great thinking to put it in the shop, I bet it smells heavenly. Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Niki,

    What beautiful photos! Your blog is so pretty, I did my Masters at Bath Uni - what a lovely part of the world. I'll definitely pay your shop a visit if we ever come your way - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think Shepton has ever looked so lovely!
    I can smell all those lovely flowers all the way over here
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Niki!
    Thanks for the nice walk in the Edwardian era, which I love very, after the Victorian era.
    Here the temperature is cooler, good luck! ;o))
    A dear greeting, Maria.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  15. One day I will get to your divine shop.I can't wait I really can't
    Lots of hugs Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an utterly beautiful shop, and I love the garlands decorating the market cross Linda:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I wish I had the opportunity of purchasing one of your gorgeous lavender bunches!
    I absolutely love the last shot. So Country Living.
    Hugs,
    Monicaxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this post. Love the curtains in the store front door, and love all the dispalys. Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Niki

    Well done - that lavender looks gorgeous. I might try and get over on Friday, but may not manage it!

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx