Saturday, July 03, 2010

Watch the Birdie!

Whats going on here then?...

Today was the day for a Victorian photographer to take a photograph of each of the families running a shop in Shepton Mallet.
I was very good today and was only distracted once or twice by all the activity...this is the view from my sewing machine, so I don't have to look very far at all to see what's going on...
Besides, it takes such a long time to shoot each scene - In actual fact, it took this camera crew most of the day to get round the four shops to film them having their portraits taken.

That leaves plenty of time for lots of chats and fun and games for the children involved.

It was the turn of the iron monger next.
I realised today that I am in direct competition with him, as he's been selling galvanised watering cans and other such antique items from outside his shop!

Never mind...tomorrow will be the final day for the filming of the Victorian era, which will climax with the special market day. The families involved will then have a break for a week or so whilst the shops are transformed again for the Edwardian era.
And just to show that I was very good and really did get on with some work in between customers...

I've made another Barkcloth cushion...

A brooch pillow...

And I re-covered two pairs of vintage shoe stretchers in my favourite Sanderson violet printed fabric.

These will all be for sale on my market stall tomorrow.

I also have a few other items for it, including some antique glass bottles...
*
I painted a wooden tray and lined the back with old gardening book pages to display them in. I think they'd make great little vases, each one with a single flower head.

There will be lots of other pretty items too; plus my shop will be open tomorrow as a one-off - probably 9am until 2pm...unless it is particularly busy in the town, which will mean I may be open longer.
*

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Niki x

9 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed the pics and reading about the transformation and filming in your town. How neat it must be to be able to glance out your window and see the happenings. It looks so fun! Love the pillows! And I'm still drooling over your wonderful hats!!

    Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Niki and I love the photos you have been taking and showing. I adore Barkcloth and the pillow is just gorgeous. I also love that dish! Please do post more photos when you have a moment!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I amlooking forward to seeing it on TV, it must be exciting having it so close.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki

    It all looks so exciting! I have posted about the event too today. Let's hope that the event attracts plenty of visitors.
    See you tomorrow.
    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to tomorrow! I hope you sell lots of your lovely treasures! Gorgeous Barkcloth cushion by the way, it's my new favourite fabric! Tamzin X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see how the shops look for the next era. Love the brooch cushion.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Nikki, I love the idea of using the pages from the gardening book on the shelf. How fun to watch all the behind-the-scenes happenings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a super day today. I would have LOVED to have come over for the market this morning, but I was struck down with a lurgy last week & it is taking me ages to get over it... i just about survived the V&HM yesterday with jack's assistance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am sorry i missed the Market i was within a whiskers of coming ... such a great historical opportunity ... will they do another market for the edwardian era ?

    Thank you for all the pics Niki it is always a joy to follow your days on the market square ... and this added distraction for you must have been fab.

    best wishes always Ginny xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx