Friday, May 08, 2015

Nesting...

This was one of the treasures I found whilst up in the Black Country earlier this week. I love it's original old 1930's green paint finish.
The little drawer in the base however had seen better days, but I thought I'd be able to make something of it again.
I certainly don't have the skills to cut dovetail joints and create a new drawer from reclaimed pine, but as it wouldn't be susceptible to heavy use, I thought cardboard might do the trick!  
I used strong mount board for the job and secured it with several layers of papier-mâché made from antique book pages and PVA glue...

Once dried, it seemed up to the job...
And was a perfect fit!

***
Then, yesterday provided another new acquisition...
This one for free...
A tiny nest, brought down by the high winds I suspect, was laying in the road, which I spotted when I walked to our village community centre to cast my vote...
It's so beautifully made from tiny twigs, lots of moss and fully lined inside with soft white feathers.
The outside even has a layer of sheep's wool providing an insulating layer!
Perhaps a greenfinch's nest? - I'm not sure, but once home to some very teeny inhabitants for sure.
Another for my collection, which includes the wren's nest that I've displayed in an old terracotta pot.

***
And finally, I've been trying to clear my own nest!...
I've started to list some of my precious antique French textile scraps in my new etsy shop.
So far I've added listings for some craft packs, which include some lovely old French toiles and floral print fabrics. If you'd like to visit, I can be found here.
Wishing you a happy weekend in your nest :)
Niki x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx