Monday, August 11, 2008

Velvet Violets

I was inspired to have a go at making some ribbon flowers by the old corsage that I bought at the flea market recently.

I find hand sewing quite therapeutic and a welcome relief to hours spent on the sewing machine or PC. Simple gathering stitches and anchoring knots can manipulate the fabrics and ribbons into all sorts of shapes before the eyes.
Further more, it can be done anywhere and is a great distraction to the TV. I am not a big fan of the television and find it difficult to sit still in front of it without feeling fidgety! But I don't want to avoid this chill-out time with hubby in the evening, so I usually have a small project on the go, which I can get on with and still chat and watch TV with him.

I used the French silk velvet ribbons that I also bought from the flea market to make these fluffy violet shaped flowers. I then added them to a coat hanger which I had padded with my favourite ever 'Laura Ashley' fabric.

It will hang in my downstairs loo, which has a strong violet theme in its decor.
I have also been working on a revamp of my website. I will be introducing some new categories to the on-line catalogue and lots of 'new' vintage stock will shortly be added.....just need to type-up around 70 listings!.....
Niki x

9 comments:

  1. Niki I love your sweet flowers you made.. I have been trying to make some ribbon flowers too and for me it isn't as easy as it looks! lol Gorgoeus velvet you used... so so cute.

    Can't wait to see your new goodies coming! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your link on Sandra's Sampler Lovers Blog.
    You have s great blog, Just love it, good work.
    I was born in Bristol along time ago...I was recently back in England (April) and spent some time in Bath, a beautiful city. Keep up the good work! You would mind if I put a link to your blog on mine?

    Have a good day Joan Giura Downunder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Nikki,
    You have done it again!
    Your skills never fails to amaze me...
    I`m looking forward to see your new Treasures on your website...
    Wow, did you say about 70...
    Do you need any HELP listing them!
    Keep up with the amazing work that YOU ALWAYS DO!
    Kisses Kisses
    Debbie Moss
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki
    I love the colour of those violets, so pretty. I feel like a complete vegetable this holiday, with the weather being so bad most evenings I'm just curled up on the sofa doing nothing - I found a patch of blue sky this morning and am feeling very proud of myself!! Take care
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:44 am

    What a great idea, Niki! Those violets are so dainty... and I recognized the little china box! All is so pretty...

    I am looking forward to browse your new catalogue! I'm sure I'll love it!

    Have a beautiful day,
    Monica xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my you're busy this week! Those velvet flowers are positively edible! I'd put them on a cake!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps a project for the evening - hubby fidgets if I do any counted work but as long as I can talk at the same time I get away with it! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your velvet posies are beautiful, Niki! I love the color you used. I look forward to seeing the new treasures and creations in your shop! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:13 pm

    What a great idea, Niki! Those violets are so dainty... and I recognized the little china box! All is so pretty...

    I am looking forward to browsing your new catalogue! I'm sure I'll love it!

    Have a beautiful day,
    Monica xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:04 pm

    What a beautiful hanger you have created Niki, how clever you are. I'm glad you had a lovely, relacing holiday and I'm really excited about your new look website and goodies, I can't wait to see it! Jackie Mx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx