Monday, May 12, 2014

Flower Power

Variety, they say, is the spice of life and with this in mind I thought I'd step out from my usual comfort zone of reusing faded florals or rose printed Sanderson fabrics, and go for all-out clashing colours. In the past I've always been a little uncomfortable using orange in my palette, but lately find myself mysteriously drawn to its dramatic eye-catching quality. (I do have these episodes from time to time! ;-)) 
By combining a stunning c1930's hand embroidered linen panel with a retro 70's (actually a Sanderson called 'Amabel') flower-power print, I hope you don't think I've lost my mind?!
I was actually quite surprised by the similarities of these two textiles, despite there being more than 40 years between them...Both decades focused on orange in the fashion/interiors world, so perhaps this is why they seem to sit well together?
Marigolds

Poppies

Lilies


 
C1930's 
(Can you imagine the hours this must have taken to complete? - So beautifully stitched, but never used...until now...)
C1970's
The end result?...

Another large, full-sized bed pillow cushion!

Perfect for softening a garden bench during the summer months to come...


Or to turn a step into a place to sit and relax for a while...

As well as it being a cheerful pillow to use inside too. 
(The reverse is the same fabulous 70's Sanderson, with tie fasteners.)
Update 13th May: I'm sold - thank you! 
Inspired by my new passion for orange, I thought I'd use the 70's Sanderson to make a smaller cushion. This one is combined with a c1930's (again) chenille panel, woven with a bird and flower design.
Only a small border of the kitschy print is visible from the front, but the full impact can be enjoyed on the reverse! 

Wishing you a colourful week...
I'll be continuing with my cushion making...
Niki x

4 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, I lopve the mix it's bang on. Your other cushions are luscious too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely colour combination Niki. As a 70's gal I love it! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super colour combo. Pot marigolds are everywhere in my garden they clash happily with nearly everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki,your cushions are wonderful,I like the wisteria and meadow ones! My absolute favourite was the Marigold one,I simply adore Marigolds and have some beauties in my garden.The post with your pretty little granddaughter was lovely,you are very lucky!Wishing you a sunny weekend.Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx