Friday, June 03, 2011

Glastonbury Tor

Just a quick post, as my in-laws are staying with us at the moment and I can't spare the time to blog for very long...Hope you've had a lovely week and are looking forward to a restful weekend...
Just thought I'd show you what my daughter, her boyfriend and I got up to on Wednesday...
Feeling energetic, we decided to climb Glastonbury Tor...
Here it is seen from the Tor bus drop-off point.
There are lots of steep steps to climb...and for a while you almost lose sight of the tower on the top...
Almost there...
The views across the Somerset levels and the three counties at the top, are worth the effort.
Witness the very clever cows who have grazed a perfect heart shape in the grass on one of the hills! And that's the Bath & West Showground in the background, where the Royal Bath & West Show is in full swing until tomorrow.
On the top of the holy hill.
*
*
What goes up...
Must come down...But that, it has to be said, is the easier bit! :)
Love Niki x

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing back some lovely memories. I visited the Tor as a teenager on family holidays. It was alway glorious sunshine and scorching hot when we visited. I remember having to cross a field with a big bull in it to get to the Tor, lol. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the little tour along with you ~ just magnificent ~ and such beautiful photos too! (Loved the heart-shaped grazing patch!) Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! What a climb! But SO beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki.
    We were already four times at Glastonbury, but we have never done this tour, it's very nice!
    Next time we will do it for sure! Thank you for these pictures, I wish you a happy weekend.
    A dear greeting, Maria.
    (with translator)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day I will go up to the Tor. I have only every taken photos of it from below. Have loads of them taken from different places and angles around Glastonbury the last time being when I visited the textile exhibition at the museum!
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite places ever Glastonbury Tor, we sat up there one year on the summer solstice till the early hours with a flask of hot chocolate, to watch the moon come up! Quite lovely!! xx hope you have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for the view. It looks lovely! I'd love to have climbed it when I was there but sadly didn't have enough time. I always thought I'd like to climb it the old way, round and round about seven times to the top. In truth I'd probably have given up and walked straight up (if I hadn't run out of puff).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So interesting! A tor must be a hill - I'm interpreting English into American, I guess. What is the significance of the tower? Was it part of a church once? Funny someone would build a tower - what, just for shelter ... or maybe for shelter to the lookout person. Anyway, Niki, thanks for the pictures and the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of our favourite walks and one that little man has done many times, including in a sling on my front when only a few weeks old. We like to walk from the Chalice wells, across the fields and then run down the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day you have had, thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super photos. The view must be breathtaking. Worth that hike to the top and being breathless!
    June

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx