Friday, June 24, 2011

This Week...

A fairly ordinary week, this week...but one that's made me happy...To blog it, or not...That is always the question, when nothing but the fairly ordinary/usual stuff has happened...
I've been sewing, as usual...
I bought these gorgeously scented sweet pea flowers from the market this morning...
The first I've sniffed this year and 'wow' are they delicious!
Later on this morning, into the shop walked my friend Jill with this wonderful posy from her garden! (Jill, I hasten to add, is not 'ordinary'! - Its always lovely to have friends stop-by!)
Whilst we were chatting, a lovely lady called Lynne arrived. She was on her way home to Cornwall, having been away on holiday, and had been promised a detour via my shop by her hubby! Although not a blogger, Lynne is an avid reader of them and visits most of the vintagey blogs that we all know and love - Apparently Lynne has the pseudonym 'Popsy' and she occasionally leaves comments here and there...So if you've received a comment on your blog from a 'Popsy', I can tell you she is a very lovely lady!...We could have chatted for hours, I think, but the pressure was on a little, as her hubby was waiting in their car for her to finish shopping! ;-))
(It was a pleasure to meet you Lynne and I hope you don't mind me mentioning you on my blog post today!)
Then there was a local lady who visits my shop sometimes...She came in with a tray full of beautifully ripe blueberries under one arm, which she'd bought at the market...asked if I liked them, (I said I loved them!)...and so she gave me the whole tray!
That's not to mention some cards I received in the post this week...It can be the little things that make such a difference to a fairly ordinary week, wouldn't you agree?
Feeling happy this evening, I wasn't going to let the rain deter me from a quick flit around our garden when I got back home...

The poppies are just starting to open...I've managed to raise these from seed for the last couple of years. I'm always amazed how much growth they can produce in just one season, from seemingly nothing at all...
Some of my more 'full headed' roses haven't fared so well in the constant wet conditions... Others are fighting fit!
Here's the new border that I've mentioned before, that I am still creating...its filled out a bit already though.
Other areas are just how I like them...
Wild, woolly and a little bit jungle-like!
A couple of weekends ago, hubby (and future son-in-law) started to create a new path down one side of our garden...And it's barely stopped raining since! - So it remains a WIP!
Last Sunday we took some time off from the chores and DIY projects and took a ride into deepest Somerset...Unfortunately I was 'camera-less', so can't truly share with you the wonderful time we had with Lizzie and Jack at Lizzie's Open House event, but Donna was there too and she has put lots of great photos on her latest post here.
I can however show some of the goodies I bought there and also some I gathered on the way at a convenient car bootie stop-off! (Thanks for the tip-off Lizzie!)
Hubby bought this old chap for me, who was last seen living in Lizzie's barn!
Also from Lizzie, fabrics and pictures...
One with beautiful hand embroidery.
And from the bootie...
A gorgeous mirror with plasterwork ivy leaf surround.
Lace, including lengths, baby bonnets, and pretty collars.
Costume brooches and a buckle...
My favourite one...
And a dainty china sugar bowl.
Hope you've had a happy week too.
Enjoy the weekend,
Niki x

22 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are still blogging. You are truly a favorite of mine!--Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blog-o-versary! I love comingby for a visit and can always see something fun and creative. Some people must not have a happy heart-I love it all. If I lived close, you'd be seeing me in person! Maybe on my some day trip, I'll drop by. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloomin' 'eck!
    I wish I had 'ordinary' weeks like yours LOL!

    Lovely stuff!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post as usual. Gosh I wish I lived near you...all that lovely stuff. I was just in my garden and looking at my flowers. We have had lots of rain too and my poor roses are very soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not just an ordinary week!
    A wonderful week!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so lovely to see you and Hubby last weekend and it looks like you bought some treasures. Love that horse! Your garden is looking wonderful Niki, I don't know how you get the time to do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely week for you!

    I have a habit that when I climb into bed at night I find 5 nice things to be thankful for before I go to sleep- if I'd had your week I don't think I'd ever have GOT to sleep!

    Here's hoping fo another "ordinary" week to come
    xx
    ps your blog is so interesting, thankyou for finding the time to write and post the photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a most extraordinary week to me. Friends and gifts and treasure hunting. What more could one ask for? :) Love your wild and wooly garden. So much nicer to look at than the fussy manicured type. Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Niki, It was lovely to meet you too yesterday. I am glad your week has been a happy one, Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sweet peas, my favourite is pure white ad called Jilly. well it would be .love the brooches.tr
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Niki, you are living a life that lots of us covet. I'd love a shop surrounding myself with beautiful things from the bye-gone eras. Do you ever wonder who owned the things you buy... who loved them first... who made them, cherished them... got them as a gift? Each piece could be a novel of epic proportion. The bobin lace made by hand for her wedding gown, and he didn't show. The brooch given by a first love, and he died in the war. You live and work amongst the stories! I wonder if a psychic would go mad in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks far nicer than an ordinary week to me! Pretty finds, fliss xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Niki, just adored spending time with you through your post... bliss. Happy to be happy with you :-) Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those gorgeous flowers and gorgeous things, I think ordinary sometimes is just perfect. xx
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Nicki,
    What a lovely post, you have inspired me, so this will be a short note as I'm going to nip off to our local carboot... It's always lovely to read about your life and treasures and I agree, it is the little kindnesses and treats that make life good. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post. I can almost smell those gorgeous sweet peas!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  17. Niki, you don't 'do' ordinary, another beautiful post.
    We have some of the Ballerina rose bushes too, they perform wonderfully and without fail (and without much tlc either) every year regardless of the weather. None of my annual poppies are in flower yet, a treat to come.
    Hope you had a lovely weekend.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your "ordinary" seems pretty spectacular to me! So much to enjoy, so much to be thankful for, and a husband who takes you to boot sales. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ah, sweet peas are my favourite flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful post Niki! it was a pleasure to see you both. Just back from a manic 3 days buying in france.. phew.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nikki
    Just had a look at your shop web - one beautiful shop and you are very lucky! Odd pages I couldn't get into but wow, the bags are great and you have sold out.

    Anita
    Bath Bomb Creations

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, LOVE when you post views of your garden and home- I think they make your blog so special ;)
    The cushions are fabulous, hope to buy one or two from you in the future.
    Monica x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx