Thursday, March 26, 2009

If a Picture Paints a Thousand Words...

...then I wonder what mine say about me...

We stayed at my brother's house last weekend. He has been doing up his home for the last two years and is finally on the homeward straight. The walls are white and furniture is bulky and made of leather. The only possessions on display are large sculptural house plants and a few pictures, which I helped him to hang before we went out to the party. His choice in art for the walls is modern, very graphic, with bold areas of colour. (Could a brother and sister be more different?!)

On my return home, I saw our house with fresh eyes...and I enjoyed looking at the pictures that we have on our walls again. I admit that I don't have sophisticated taste when it comes to art and am of course drawn to vintage prints.

People and faces feature heavily, which I feel adds life and soul to a room. The picture above is a beautiful Victorian calendar print from 1909, which is entitled 'Our Boy'. Very chocolate boxy and uncool(!), but I love its romantic and nostalgic air.

An old French advertising board hangs in my workroom.

C1920’s prints with their dramatic colour scheme can be found on the walls of the back hallway.

An original portrait of a beautiful woman with a red rose in her hair has been with me for many years.

'The Four Seasons’ hang in their round Barbola floral frames above a doorway.

A newer addition is this collage on a tin tile made by ‘Sea Dream Studio’, which I purchased through Etsy a year or so ago.

Framed C19th toile de jouy features an angel and cherubs.

One of my favourite prints is this one; ‘Best of Friends’ by Raphael Kirchner. I’m often drawn to flapper girls in pretty hats, and the fact that I picked this one up for £2.50 was a bonus.

Also in our living room are these two small pieces. One, a mirror, with a cherub panel by Bessie Pease Gutmann; the other is an old photo postcard that I embellished with tiny millinery flowers and lace.

A German advertising letter rack is useful in the hall.

I found this old print at a flea market for 50pence and placed it inside a moulded frame painted white. I love the fact that it echoes my love of roses and hats!

Reclining ladies printed on silk from 1890 entitled ‘A Lullaby’, look at home above the slipper bath in our master bedroom.

More lovely ladies rest on the hook rail in the bathroom….

Along with this confident lass from the 1950’s!

A Victorian flue cover with another chocolate boxy image! And a tiny cracker tin has a child’s portrait on its lid.

Pretty girl and roses – perfect!

One of my tiniest pictures is the angel print above the dressing table…

Which ties in nicely with the toile panel on my bedside cupboard…

With more people and faces on the cushions.

A decoupage panel on the fire screen, again in the master bedroom, coordinates well with the blue tiled fireplace.

'The Bloom of Youth’ welcomes visitors to our home, in the porch.

My other love, as you may know, is roses…I just can’t resist a beautifully painted rose picture to add a splash of colour to a room.

A Victorian religious print in my workroom, with its simple reminder.

Catherine Klein floral prints in unusual oval frames…
and another in a rectangular frame for good measure!

Roses abound in the downstairs loo too!
Pink roses on an old calendar.
And more pink blooms, this time an original artwork.

Another favourite of mine is this large lilac and roses yard long (or yard tall!) on the stairs.

White milk glass painted with red and white roses with a wedding cake icing frame.

…oh yes, I love red and white!

And at night I gaze up at another original painting, this one dated 1927 and in a jet black frame.

You would also find framed embroideries of country cottages, Victorian cabinet photographs and family photos too scattered about our home, but I’ve probably bored you enough for today!
Enjoy the rest of your week,
Niki x

19 comments:

  1. wow Niki..and I thought I had a fair few pictures!! My favourite has to be that yard long beauty followed very closely by the teeny tiny angel one. What a beautiful collection.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so your post of pictures speaks more than a thousand words. I'm in awe!!!! They are all just so beautiful...Your posts always leave me speechless. Just when I thought I had a favorite, I'd scroll further down...
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, i think you have a beautiful eye when it comes to finding pictures to grace your home...they are all lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki
    What a fabulous collection of pictures!!! I have been looking at your post for a good 20 minutes taking in the different pictures, trying to decide which ones I like most. I particularly like the confident 1950's lass, all the roses ones, the four seasons, 1920's prints & the angel. That's almost all of them! GREAT TASTE NIKI! Hope you don't mind but I mentioned your book in today's blog entry as one of my 7 things I love!
    Really enjoyed your post, always do..
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is a museum of gorgeous prints! It is so hard to choose a favorite, but I think I'd have to say mine is your flue cover! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niki,
    I just love all these prints!!!
    I would love to paint the girl with hat and roses- I had already noticed her in one of her previous posts!! May I?
    Hugs,
    Monica (still madly dancing!)xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my!! I looooove all your vintage prints and signs, what a wonderful collection!!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your kind of art work. If I have to try and interpret the meaning of a picture (such as modern art), I am lost.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww Niki I love all your pictures with roses on it! so stunning! make me want to start a new collection.. they are so beautiful! the flowers, the vintagey look.. I also love your flapper girls and the french advert board.. any idea where I can find like yours? since I live at the side of the world, these kind of pictures are hard to get.. have a good day Niki

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is "my take" on what your pictures say about you:
    That you only see the beauty in people.

    and considering your brother doesn't has graphic prints he's probably rather exciting right?

    just a WILD guess!!

    have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with every last little rose petal and rosy cheeked girl and boy in your home. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a lovely home and the art makes it unique! I love the roses and special art throughout your home! Would love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything!! You have such a lovely and charming home!! That headboard in the last photo is divine!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the four seasons pictures!
    And I am a sucker for flower pictures - you have some lovely ones.
    I could never understand buying art for the sake of 'decoration' - and I did try it and it was a dismal failure. I need to feel a connection with the work and love it or it is meaningless.
    Your home is filled with things you love, and that is what makes it special and yours.
    xxx
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the lovely tour Niki, so beautiful your pictures are...Pinkie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed looking at your pictures Niki, what a lovely collection you have. It's difficult to choose one particular one, like the old french advertising print hanging in your workroom, but love them all really.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ever SO lovely, all of your pictures, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Niki, what a charming collection of pictures, I couldn't choose a favorite they are all so pretty with lovely colours.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Niki,

    I just love the tour of your home and your lovely pictures. There are too many lovely pictures/paintings to list, that I absolutely loved! But I adored the firescreen.

    Have a wonderful day, and congrats to your mother and father-in-law on their golden wedding anniversary!

    Kitty
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx