Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shopping for Scheurer!

1904/5
Cafe Rouge in Bath was the venue for a light lunch spent with two lovely ladies - an all too brief meeting with Michele was enjoyed on Friday morning, by Sue and myself. After catching up and savouring the French style food and ambiance, Michele had to head for home.

You may know that Sue recently made a very large purchase of hundreds of antique French fabric samples by the Scheurer company. Each sample is approx: 80cm x 50cm and had been stored in the Scheurer archives, many from the 1800's. Most were dated and held in paper folders, which means they are as crisp and new looking as the day they were first printed. The colours and condition are truly unbelievable for textiles of this age.
1910
Sue came back home with me to let me have a look through the whole collection. Just to view these gorgeous designs is a privilege, to think that some of these prints haven't been seen for decades is awe inspiring...
Some of the designs are printed onto fine silks. If these fabrics had been used back in the day, there is no way they would have survived the years intact for us to enjoy today...OK I'm gushing here, but I really enjoyed myself!

It took a good two hours and several cups of tea to look through each and every sample. There are several colourways for most of the designs and picking favourites was extremely difficult!

In some cases I couldn't manage it, so chose three!
1912/13
Of course my purse came out and I made a few purchases...
1910
Being the predictable girl that I am, pink roses feature heavily!

I'm thinking that I may have to make a patchwork bedspread with large rectangular patches, so that each design can be seen and enjoyed every day.
1912/13
Perhaps your choice wouldn't be pastel colours and roses? The Scheurer company had most styles covered; from bold ikat styles, Art Nouveau and Deco designs, full blown county house prints with urns filled with tumbling bouquets, to more graphic, almost William Morris type designs. You can see a few of these other styles on Sue's slide show here.
1904
If you are interested in looking through the samples, then email Sue for details. Its a treat that I would recommend, but allow plenty of time!

I'll leave you with photos of the rest of my purchases. I've labeled those that were dated on their sample folder with a date of production...I obviously should have been born around the early 1900's!

*

*

*

*

*
1884/5
*
1912
*

*
1910/11
*
1885
*
1904/5
*
1904/5
*
1903/4
*
1904/5
*

*
Hope you enjoyed my selection - there's plenty more left for anyone interested...
Have a lovely weekend,
Niki x

30 comments:

  1. The wonder of the "Web"!!!. . . my eyes are positively out on stalks looking at the screen and what you have allowed me to share... thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is giving me goosebumps! (I think there is a different saying for this expression across the pond - lol!) Those are just STUNNING! To think how old they are, yet still so crisp and new is thrilling! The graphics are just beautiful! Oh my gosh Niki you must be so excited to own these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, those fabrics are stunningly beautiful. What a treat to look at, and how lucky you are to actually acquire some of these treasures, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!! Those fabrics have got to be the most beautiful fabric I have ever seen.. They just don't have stuff like that here!!!!!
    Are you planning on making anything with them?
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Niki, what a fantastic day you have had! Meeting up in Cafe Rouge with Michele & Sue followed by 2 hours looking through the stunning pieces of fabric. They are true works of art. The colours and design, you must have been in heaven yesterday!
    Enjoy them, thanks for sharing these beautiful finds!
    Have a great weekend
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niki.. lucky you! what a stunning collection! you pick all the lovely colours.. love all the fabrics.. especially the one with pink roses on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning collection! In such wonderful fresh condition too - no wonder you found it hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky lady you are,i bet you was transported back in time i know i would be,i would have great trouble choosing some favoutites they are all just to die for,have a great weekend with your lovely fabric best wishes Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen such beautiful fabrics!!! They are absolutely scrumptuous!!! Thank you so much for sharing such beauty!!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my GOODNESS niki!!! I am gushing here as well.. what an AMAZING find. How wonderful that you got to drink tea with your friend and admire the beauty.

    I LOVE the ones you chose. So so stunning. Congrats and thank you for sharing them with us. It was such a pleasure while I sip my coffee this morning.

    xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. What treasures! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. It would have been hard to pick favorites.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful - historical evidence, in a way! What a wonderful time you must have had, and how fantastic to own some. I think the quilt idea is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Niki, what a delightful feast for the eyes, absolutely beautiful you must have had a wonderful couple of hours...
    ....the bedspread sounds a lovely idea.
    Enjoy....
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH my gosh, How incredibly beautiful Niki, I am drooling right now! I love the rose and pastels too. What a treat of a day for you! Thank you so much for sharing this Pinkie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful fabrics! I am sooo jealous, but I hardly have a leg to stand on after my treats this week!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Lizzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful selection you have made Niki. Wonderful aren't they? I look forward to seeing what you make with them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Niki

    Didn't we have fun!!! They've photographed beautifully. Customers at Dairy House were drooling today, too, and another bumper bundle have gone to new careful owners!

    I must admit I've become rather possessive about them, but I'm trying to squirrel away at least one of each design for posterity. Much as I'd love to keep them all I can't. Sadly I let one go this morning that I wouldn't sell to you yesterday. I didn't realise it was in the customer's bundle until I packed them up after she'd paid. Aaaaargh!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of them are so beautiful! We love to see them ALL! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous find! You chose the same sort of things I would have. My favouritest one has to be the kind of cameo rose design on a blue background, gorgeous.

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That has got to be one of the best collection of fabrics I have ever seen, what beauty!!! My, my....
    Thank you so much for sharing Niki!!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are all absolutely stunning ~ I bought a couple from Donna and made some up into hearts and I must say they all sold immediately! I only have one piece left, which I am finding it difficult to cut! I really need to pay a visit to The Dairy...
    You really have chosen some gorgeous floral designs ~ sigh...
    I loved your post on the pictures in your home ~ very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my, beauty overload! xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just discovered your website. I love the photos. My husband and I spent about 4 days in Bath in the fall of 2007. We loved the city. We did most of the touristy things, but also wandered around. I bought some lovely Peter Rabbit fabric in a fabric store. I don't remember the name, but the lady who helped me was lovely.
    Maybe someday I will visit your city again, but I definitely will visit your site.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, every bit as beautiful as you said! t.xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just lovely...however did you choose and how can you bare to use them...love H

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gosh you must have been in absolute bliss! I know I was just looking at the pictures. Wonderful just wonderful!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  27. really beautiful
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love these Fabrics and i am dreaming to make quilts out of them.
    Best wishes Veronika

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can think of only one word to describe them - SPECTACULAR!
    And one word to describe me right now: envious! LOL!
    Thanks for sharing!
    xxx
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  30. how gorgeous! i am jealous of your location and all you get to experience and see over in the UK :)

    i wanted to say thank you for these photos. i printed them out and used them to make decoupaged matching boxes. they turned out wonderfully. i love keeping up with your blog every week, you always have so many beautiful things to share. it has been a big inspiration to me.
    again, THANK YOU!!

    (oh, and here is the link if you are interested in seeing my boxes!)

    http://lifeofkyndal.blogspot.com/2009/04/decoupage-adventure.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx