Friday, March 20, 2009

A Little R&R.


I've spent a blissful week working in our garden every day, clearing the shrubs and trees at the boundary edge. A total of 12 compost bags have been filled and we've cut logs to burn in our fires.

Its been a tiring week too, so I've tried to relax in the evenings, curled up on the sofa with a book.
I don't know if you've heard of the Scrapbook series by Robert Opie; they were produced in the late 1990's by New Cavendish Books...
I have 'The Victorian Scrapbook' which, when you are tired in an evening, is visually calming and nostalgic, and has only small amounts of writing to be digested.
There are colourful pages filled with examples of ephemera from the era for the historian to enjoy....
As well as inspiring the crafter, or influencing the collector of antiques.

It provides just enough stimulation when you need to relax, with small hand written snippets giving a brief history of each of the areas covered.
Its like wandering through a museum of social history.

Where you can pause for a while and be reminded of some of the brands still going strong today...

as well as the fashions of the day.
There are nine books in the series, which provide the visual history of the late nineteenth and the twentieth centuries.

***
We have a busy weekend coming up, with a Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration to look forward to.
Hope you have a lovely weekend and a Happy Mothering Sunday to all the Mums everywhere,
Niki x

16 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful weekend, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those images are just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH how neat! I've got to go look them up. I'd never heard of them before. Thank you for sharing. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I'd fancy the 1970's one! But the pictures you've shown are very interesting. I know what you mean about having a book with lots of pictures to look at sometimes. Sounds like your garden is all set for summer.

    Hope you have a lovely Mothering Sunday too.

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have accomplished a lot. Now enjoy your weekend.:)
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing book! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the 50's and 60's ones, they are great! I have never seen any of the others though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niki, Happy Mothering Sunday~
    I hadn't seen this series, but I always check out books I like on Amazon.com (US) and they have a few. Thank you for the tip. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:30 pm

    That is a group of books i am not familiar with but i will have to try to get. What wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those books look great and have really inspired me for my mum's birthday present! Thanks for sharing the idea, and your other photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel guilty now Niki...I know I should be in the garden ...perhaps tomorrow a nice way to spend mothers day...I have seen those lovely books ...I like the 1930's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I know which one I'd like to see! Have a lovely weekend - don't work too hard in the garden! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, oh, oh! Those wonderful old seedpackets! Thank you for this post. I am just up the road from you and have found first forget-me-nots in bloom today. :0) have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know about this series; must look for them, as I love all that nostalgia and empherema. Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those books are just so amazing!!! You have such beautiful things. I just love visiting your blog.
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Niki!
    I have one of those books, too! I took some of the images I posted a while ago from that!
    One evening, hubby came home with that BIG surprise... it is stunning, isn't it?? I'd love to have all the nine books!!
    Hugs,
    Monicaxo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx