Monday, January 07, 2013

In the Depths of Winter...

After clearing away some of the debris in my garden yesterday, it was encouraging to see that nature sleeps for such a short while...

Snowdrops.
The bird song was quite intense and kept me company whilst I worked.
We haven't had a really bad cold snap yet to freeze-frame everything - Maybe this year we'll be lucky and have a milder winter? We've certainly had more than our fair share of rain, rain and more rain!
Daylilies.

Mahonia.
Up in the apple trees...


Primula.

Sedum. 
Aquilegia 
Snails eggs.

Rhododendron.

Hellebore.



Winter flowering jasmine.

It seems yellow is the colour for most of the flowering shrubs at this time of year...I wonder if its to attract a certain kind of insect? But what's around at this time of year? 
Not bad for early January anyway.
A wreath isn't just for Christmas! 

Kerria japonica
And a few stems brought inside will force spring along even earlier! 
Have a great week,
Niki x

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful Niki,
    I can not wait to get to the coast at the weekend and check my sedums for signs of life,we have a lot of bulbs too which were already there i hope they are peeping through.
    The stems on your window ledge look beautiful as do the bowl of bulbs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of little plants coming through already in the garden,as you say its not asleep for long.Love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope we don't get really freezing weather to spoil all the new growth.

    Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gardening yesterday and your lovely photos have captured what I too saw- you have a few more flowers tho' Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niki
    your garden is so much further on than the ones up here.
    Although Tom and I went walking through a Cotswold wood today and in just a week the spring bulbs have burst through the leaf mould, he showed me where the deer had been nibbling at the shoots and some bowl shaped areas where they had scratched the ground with antlers to get at the shoots.
    It's wonderful how I now learn things from my son on our walks.
    T x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx